Internet has become prevalent in the past decade. Everything needs an internet connection now such as your computer, smart-watch, smart-phone, security system, etc. You probably cannot do many things without the internet, or the majority of your life relies on the use of internet. In additional to that, internet usage tends to increase by a lot every year as the tech marketplace is quickly growing every day.
There are many Internet Service Providers (ISPs) in the market. Choosing the right internet plan is very important, but will be a frustrating process as well. There are a few things you need to considerate, such as the prices, speed, usage and does the ISP you want provides any service in your area.
The most common type of internet service will be broadband, which is an internet connection via DSL, cable, or fiber networks. Dial-up internet is an internet service that connects users to the internet through a telephone line. However, it has become less common these days.
Pros and Cons for DSL, Cable, and Fiber:
- DSL (Digital Subscriber Line)
Through DSL internet, you will be using telephone network wires connect to the internet.
– Provide stable and high-speed internet.
DSL is a dedicated line, which means you are the only one that uses the line that runs to your home, you will always get a consistent speed
– Speed might not be the same comparing to other people on the same plan. The speed depends on the distance between you and your internet service provider, the further you are from the provider, the less strength of the internet connection you might have, vice versa.
– It also requires an active phone line. You have two options, either you have an active service with a telephone provider, or you need to run a dry loop to your home, which cost additional monthly fee.
– Broadband internet delivered via coaxial television cables
– Usually, cable internet is faster compared to DSL internet
– Unlike DSL internet, since information travels through coaxial cables, which are heavily shielded, distance is not a huge concern
– Cable is a shared connection, which means you might be sharing the cable internet with your neighbours, and therefore, sometime might experience slower internet speed, especially during peak time.
- Fiber-optic Internet
– Connection is carried by modulated light through optic fiber, which are some thin glass wires inside a larger protective cable
– Extremely fast and stable internet connection
– Not widely available
– Very costly to implement the fiber system
Furthermore, understanding the broadband data caps is very important. There are so many internet plans in the market, some of them offer unlimited data plans, while some offer plans with limited data caps. You have to know what your bandwidth need is, because you will be charged the overage fee if you go over your limit.
Choosing the right internet plan might be very annoying. If you are still looking for a plan that meets your need, CIK might be a good solution to you. CIK Telecom offers different types of internet plans with unbeatable prices, and you will definitely find a plan that fits you the best.